Are you looking for the best crossbow for your child? Maybe because you want to pass on your craze for hunting to your child, or maybe because you want your child to have a unique hobby that will also be an experience of a lifetime? Whatever your reasons, the important part is that you somehow got here while searching for the best possible options.
You asked, and we listened! We have listed the Best Youth Crossbows for your young ones to have hands-on. Coupled with unique features, they are worth the shot. These crossbows will make your kids fall in love with hunting with their ease of use, lightweight, swiftness, and pleasing looks. So, let’s dig into the review.
Best Crossbow for Youth
- Barnett Recruit Terrain – Best for Starter
- Daisy 4003 Youth – Ideal for young shooters
- BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II – Best for entry level
- Barnett Whitetail Hunter STR – Best for Whitetail
- CenterPoint Tyro Recurve – Best for traditional hunters
1. Barnett Recruit Terrain Crossbow
- 330 feet per second. Draw weight: 140 lbs Kinetic energy: 91.9 ft lbs
- Overall weight 6.4 lbs | axle to axle 16.125" | dimensions 34.25"L x 18.25"W
- Ships mostly assembled. Anti-Vibration Foot Stirrup
- Recommend age: 16+
Barnett Recruit Terrain Crossbow is one of the best starter crossbows you will ever encounter. It weighs only 6 pounds and measures 33 x 14 x 8 inches in LxWxH, which means that it is super lightweight and easily manageable by a youngster. Moreover, it has an ADF trigger, i.e., an Anti-Dry Fire system. Plus, it comes with a Metal Injection Molding (MIM) trigger.
I like this crossbow because it is lightweight and doesn’t make me feel like my arms are about to fall off. At the same time, it doesn’t affect my efficiency in the least bit. Besides, the Anti-Dry Fire trigger keeps the safety on as long as you put the arrow in the bow. Otherwise, the bow will remain locked, preventing any hazard or damage to the crossbow.
The best part about this crossbow is that you don’t have to assemble it independently. You get a fully assembled crossbow readily waiting to be used by you. This feature is my favorite because setting up a crossbow can be tricky, and you might end up staring frustratingly at the pieces in your hand. Apart from that, it is a super-fast crossbow with all its components made of stainless steel.
- Easy to use
- Has an Anti-Dry Fire trigger
- Comes fully assembled
- Powerful and accurate
- Limited scope capabilities
- Small target range
Barnett Recruit Terrain Crossbow may be expensive and short-range, but it is the best for kids. Your kid will be able to learn all the basics of crossbow hunting very quickly because, for starters, it is lightweight and easily manageable, plus very safe and convenient to handle. However, there are better options for adults, as they may find the short range a significant impediment in hunting.
2. Daisy 4003 Youth Crossbow
- Training crossbow for young shooters
- 29 lb. draw weight
- Adjustable rear sight
- Recommend age: 16+
Daisy 4003 Youth Crossbow is yet another example. It is a compact crossbow with a total weight of 29 lbs and a size of 11.22 x 3.84 x 1.13 inches. Plus, it has an adjustable rear sight and is easy to assemble. Besides, it is a unisex crossbow that both left and right-handed youngsters can effectively use.
Moreover, it packs enough power to enable your kids to learn the technique and not hurt themselves. This means that this crossbow is too powerful and shabby but tethers between the perfect amount of strength that a child can handle effectively. However, it does not come preassembled, so an adult must set up the crossbow before handing it over to a youngster.
Moreover, your kid may find it hard to cock the string back while hunting. This is because the string is too tight; however, you can quickly remedy that by using machine oil to soften the edges and loosening the screws with a screwdriver. You may also have to give it a few tries to soften the string enough for your kid. Cocking and pressing the trigger several times should be able to do the trick.
- Safe to be used by a youngster
- Lightweight and compact
- Adjustable rear sight
- Good quality
- Limited scope capabilities
- Chemical used on the crossbow may be hazardous
- Tight string
Looking at all the plus sides, it is safe to conclude that The Daisy 4003 Youth Crossbow is, in fact, one of the best and safest youth crossbows that you will ever come across. It is cheap and worthy enough to give it a shot. Your child will have the best experience using this crossbow. Besides, who wouldn’t want an affordable, quality crossbow anyway.
3. BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
- BARNETT WHITETAIL HUNTER II CROSSBOW: High-performance compound crossbow in RealTree Extra with complete hunting...
- EFFICIENT: Crossbow is equipped with an axle-to-axle length of 16.125" overall weight of just 6.4 lbs., creating an...
- SAFETY FEATURES : Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer, Anti-Dry Fire (ADF) Trigger System, TriggerTech 3lb zero...
- Recommend age: 18+
BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow is another best youth crossbows for deer hunting. With a total weight of 6.4 pounds, it has a size of 34 x 18 x 16 in LxWxH. It has an Anti-Dry Fire trigger and a Pressure release valve, making this crossbow safe for youngsters. Besides, all its components are stainless steel and have a preinstalled MIM trigger.
This crossbow is lightweight and easily manageable; both of these features make it perfect for a kid. Besides, it has several secure safety locks that help prevent any accidental injuries and hazards. For example, the ADH triggers contain dry shots, which can harm the child and the crossbow itself. However, ensure that your child uses it in your presence for added safety.
On the other hand, this crossbow is reasonably easy to use as it has a soft string, making it easy to cock the crossbow. So your child will not face any difficulty in cocking the bow himself. The best part about this crossbow is that it locks the bow once it is cocked. So, the user will have to pull the trigger to release the bow; otherwise, the bow will stay locked. This extra feature ensures the person’s safety and the people around him.
- Easy to use and maintain
- Efficient ADH trigger
- Preinstalled pressure release valve
- Easy to assemble
- Too expensive
- Unhelpful user manual
The poorly written user manual may seem like a colossal impediment, but the BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II is easy to assemble. Once you set the crossbow up, you will understand how to use it. Overall it is a good crossbow, in my opinion, that will shoot the bow at a speed of 350 feet per second and has a more extended range than most crossbows.
4. Barnett Whitetail Hunter STR Crossbow
- BARNETT WHITETAIL HUNTER CROSSBOW STR WITHOUT CRANK DEVICE: Ultra-compact compound crossbow with complete hunting...
- EFFICIENT: Crossbow is equipped with Step-Through Riser (STR) technology that reduces the length of the crossbow and has...
- SAFETY FEATURES: Soft Lok Floating Bristle Arrow Retainer, Anti-Dry Fire (ADF) Trigger System, Finger Safety reminders,...
- Recommend age: 18+
Barnett Whitetail Hunter STR is another great crossbow considered the best-rated youth crossbow ever. This high-quality crossbow has a total weight of 6.6 pounds and measures 34 x 20 x 18. It has a shooting speed of 375 feet per second and is one of the long-range crossbows, which is great because most youth crossbows have a shorter range.
Furthermore, it has an Anti-Dry Fire trigger and knocks sensors, making this crossbow safe for youngsters. These two features protect the user and the bow from getting harmed. Besides, it uses frictionless release technology that ensures a smooth experience. The lightweight and ease of use enhance focus and target.
On the other hand, this crossbow is super easy to assemble. You get all the crossbow components in the box with a detailed instructions manual guiding you through the assembly process. So, it will take fifteen minutes to set up this beast. It is super easy to cock this bow as well, but it makes a loud noise when you fire the bow.
- Durable and accurate
- Easy to assemble >
- Very easy to use and maintain
- A bit overpriced
- Poor customer services
Overall, Barnett Whitetail Hunter STR is an excellent crossbow that will keep you company for a long time. The lightweight, easy use, and safety features make it the best youth hunting crossbow. It is one powerful crossbow that will instill a great passion for hunting in your child. You are guaranteed lifelong satisfaction using this miracle crossbow.
5. CenterPoint Tyro 4X Recurve Crossbow
- LIGHTWEIGHT ADJUSTABLE STOCK - Easy to shoulder for a variety of users
- COMPRESSION MOLDED FIBERGLASS LIMB - With a traditional look and feel
- AUTO-SAFETY COCKING MECHANISM - For safe handling
- Recommend age: 14+
CenterPoint Tyro 4X Recurve Crossbow is one of the best youth crossbows that pays as much attention to the looks as it pays to the quality and strength of the crossbow. It is an easily adjustable crossbow weighing 5 pounds and measuring 29 x 12 x 3.75 inches. Besides, it features a 4x32mm scope and an auto-lock mechanism that ensures maximum safety and protection.
Compared to the other crossbows, it is exceptionally lightweight, making it easier for a child to hold and use. It won’t slow down the progress or hinder the hunting experience. However, adults can also effectively use this crossbow. It gives an accurate target and is quieter than its counterparts. It also has an Anti-dry fire trigger to enhance safety.
Furthermore, this crossbow is very easy to assemble as it took me only twenty minutes to set the whole thing up without needing to use the instructions manual. But the instructions manual is also quite detailed and helpful. This crossbow also has a small compartment under the forearm to safely stash away small stuff or rail lube inside it while you hunt.
- Highly durable
- Easily adjustable
- Uses an auto safety cocking mechanism
- Small compartment under the forearm
- Chemical used on the crossbow may be hazardous
I highly recommend this crossbow to all beginners, as it is the perfect match. It is fast, accurate, and super lightweight, so you can be efficient and quick while hunting. Moreover, the extra attention to safety makes it one of the best crossbows for all youngsters. You are guaranteed to like this particular crossbow because of its ease of usability and reliability.
Factor To Keep in Mind While Choosing Or Buying The Best Youth Crossbow
This buyer’s guide for the best youth crossbows will help you in making the right decision regarding which crossbow to choose.
Below is a list of some of the essential features of a good crossbow that you should definitely consider because a quality crossbow will have a longer lifespan. Plus, it will be safe for children too:
The first and foremost thing you should consider is your child’s safety. For this matter, you have to choose a crossbow that is of good quality, and also, you need to teach your child first the proper way to use it. Supervision is essential because not all crossbows are safe. The right way of loading, unloading, and firing should be taught to the children. So, choose a crossbow that comes with an auto-safety trigger because such crossbows are comparatively safer and much more convenient than those that lack an auto-safety trigger.
Weight is another important factor that should be considered when purchasing a crossbow. If the weight is too heavy, it will affect the shot’s accuracy and be difficult to handle. Sometimes the accessories also make the crossbow heavy. Choosing a lightweight and easy-to-use crossbow for beginners is important because that is how they practice without the burden. So, make sure that the crossbow you purchase is convenient to use and that the child is comfortable while using it.
3. Child’s Age
The crossbow should be chosen by keeping in mind your child’s age. Various crossbows are available in the market, but not all are suitable for all age groups. For adults, the crossbows are the same; however, for children, they are different. For instance, for children, the crossbow would be light in weight and easy to carry, unlike the ones for adults. Also, if you want to buy a crossbow for the beginner, then it should be comfortable and super light so that it does not cause any hurt or burden.
Accessories are another important thing to consider when you go to buy a crossbow. Multiple accessories come with crossbows. For instance, scope and quiver are additional accessories you may get with a good crossbow. Other than that, carbon arrows are also an additional accessory that a good crossbow offers. So, these were some of the accessories. However, there are multiple other accessories that you can get. Plus, the assembling of the accessories should also be easy.
Choosing a crossbow that fits the budget is also an important factor one must pay attention to. Pick a crossbow that suits your budget but also considers its quality. Quality and price should be given priority. If the crossbow is too good, then you should definitely invest in it so that it lasts for a long time. However, if you want a crossbow without accessories and additional stuff, go for a cheaper one, but make sure whichever crossbow you buy is safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
So now that I have accomplished my goal of enlightening you folks with everything I know about the best youth crossbows, it will be easier for you to pick one for yourself. However, if you are still wondering which would be the best for your kid, let me suggest my top three favorites. These are the ones that I prefer when I go on my hunting expedition with my kids.
- Daisy 4003 Youth Crossbow is the cheapest youth crossbow on my list, but that does not affect its capabilities. It serves as a perfect combination of power and strength required by a youngster to learn the technique of hunting effectively. The lightweight combined with ease of use enhances its effectiveness as a hunting crossbow.
- Barnett Recruit Terrain Crossbow will turn out to be your child’s best hunting buddy. The Anti Dry Fire trigger increases the security so that your child can have a hazard-free learning experience. Moreover, it comes in a preassembled form, which saves you the time you would otherwise spend assembling it.
- BARNETT Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow is the fastest, safest, and most powerful crossbow that is also the best youth crossbow for deer hunting. It is smooth and reliable. The target range is long and accurate. Moreover, it locks the bow once cocked. So the only way to release the bow is by pulling the trigger. This is the most distinguishing feature of this crossbow.